Friday, June 30, 2006

Like I said before, I have read my Bible from front to cover so many times that I have lost count. The only Book of the Bible that I did not read like a book was Psalms, you have to feel a certain way to read Psalms, but you are not( at least I am not) reading Psalms for knowledge but a connection to God or a feeling of understanding that which is outside myself. My favorite Psalms by the way was always Psalms 37, I always felt those words, they have resonated with my spirit over the years. Anyways I really was not intending to write about Psalms, I wanted to write about the first 5 books of the Bible.

I always looked forward to reading Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. I am not sure why, but reading through all the laws was invigorating and I know when people talked about reading those books that it was described by them as dry reading, but not to me. I have had some problems though with some of the laws because they are from "God" and they just did not seem fair and enlighted as I thought they should be because they are from God after all. For example how slaves were treated. If a person was a slave and as a slave was married, and then gained his freedom he could not stay with his wife or childern. His only option was to get his ear pierced by an awl and then remain a slave the rest of this life, so that he was able the remain with his wife and childern if there were any. I always was disturbed by this, why would God allow this? Why would God allow the family to be broken apart like this? God hates divorce-- "right?" This just never made any sense to me everytime I read it. It just seems wrong. The man should be able to take his family and be free, thus making a more stable society. The other thing was how a priest was to judge sickness and sores on people. A lot of it sounded like if you had a pimple you could be outcasted or your house could be burnt down. Then this whole thing with a woman's period. God created it, it is a natural function of a woman so why did God deem it as unclean? God is the one that made our bodies function the way they do, sooooooo, I do not understand. Some of these laws just do not make any sense to me since because they originated with God but are unfair and lack understanding of the human condition.

No comments: