Friday, September 15, 2006

I have been thinking about this for some time. Cancer is a business, a 800 billion dollars a year business. Some of these cancer treatments cost 100's and 1000's of dollars, sometimes people lose all their savings or their house or other worldly possessions because the cancer treatments cost so much. Just for your information 1500 people a week die from cancer. We or American interest, companies and government agencies have been doing cancer research 30 or 40 years maybe? I am not sure how long cancer research have been conducted but research has been going a long time. Big Business controls the world to a certain extent, it is Big Business that does the drug research and decides what drugs they will bring to the market in concert with the FDA. On Lily's blog there is a link to Biloblog( he is a doctor and his blog does not seem to be working, not sure why) and he has a blog about the FDA and how their interest are not necessary what is best for America even though they are a government entity and their duty is to protect the American people.

What if a cure for cancer has been discovered, what are the implications or ramifications of such a discovery? Are the drug companies going to give up 800 billion dollars a year? What if a pill has been developed and it is just sitting on the shelf somewhere? Look at the jobs that are related the cancer business, maybe one pill could make all the research and related jobs disappear. Would "Big Business" let that happen? Would all the research universities let that happen? If cancer was cured, all these research institutions would lose federal grant money. There is a vested interest in keeping cancer from not being cured no matter these Drug Companies or research insitutions declare as their stated purpose in seeking a cure for cancer.

3 comments:

DLJ said...

You sure do a lot of thinking on a lot of different subjects! You must have a lot of free time.

I wish AT1 would get some internet service at home. I miss his enlightening, thoughtful comments.

IncaRunner_6 said...

You miss AT1's insightfull comments about different movies?

I have heard other rumblings about cancer cures and read other stories on the net. It is not that I have a lot of free time, it is that I am always thinking about something, plus all the books I read, and stuff I see on TV, just gives me alot of different things to think about. I like thinking about different stuff, plus me and Lily are always asking questions, me moreso.

Lily said...

Here's the link to to billo's article.