Sunday, February 11, 2007

I rebuilt J computer this week. I gave him a new motherboard, with a screaming AGP graphics card( 8X, it had 512 megs of onboard ram) , 2 gigs of ram, 400 watt power supply, and a 20 inch monitor. I thought that Win XP ran fast with 1 gig of ram, and that there would be no difference, but I was wrong. There is a noticable difference, windows reponds faster, so I am thinking about adding another gig to my laptop, which means if I add, I have to add to Lily's laptop too.

I remember when I bought my Vic 20 a number if years ago. I remember the salesman telling me that 8k of memory was all I was every going to need. He was wrong. I then bought a Tandy TL/2 that had 640k, and then I bought a 40 meg hard drive to go with it. I was then told, no matter what that was all I was every going to need. He was wrong too.

The first thing I did when I brought my Tandy home was take it apart( now when I look back, that was really stupid because I could have killed my computer) and examine everything inside the CPU. And my Tandy had an 8086 processor,"OOOOOOOOOOOO" I was smoking. I guess I am going from 8k of ram to 2 gigs of ram, that is all I will ever need!!!????

3 comments:

DLJ said...

When we come home to the States in a couple of months, I will be looking to buy a new laptop - what would you recommend? With a limit of about $1700? Should I just update my Toshiba? It will be 4 years old at Thanksgiving. It's a P4, XP Pro; 2.3 Ghz - 40 gig hd. 480 mg RAM

IncaRunner_6 said...

Give your laptop to your kids, and by yourself a new laptop. That's my advice. I just bought myself a laptop, it was on sale, with a 100.00 rebate it cost 650.00.

DLJ said...

What kind did you get - what should I stay away from? Where did you get it from? Is there a P5 or P6, yet - what's the latest technology/