Wednesday, June 25, 2008

On of my HP printers in one of my computer labs went down and it had a error code, so I went HP web site to look up the error code. I already kind of knew what the code meant, but I wanted to be sure, so I found my printer on HP web site and low and behold the defination for the error was not listed. So I decided to call HP support to confirm what I thought the error code meant, this was the conversation:

me: I have a printer error that I would like you to tell me what it means?

HP: Can I have the serial number of the printer?

me Ok, it is xxxxxxxxx.

HP: That printer is out of warranty, you need to pay 21.00 for support.

me: Are you saying that I need to pay 21.00 so you can tell what your error means that is not listed on your web page?

HP: yes

me: You have got to be kidding!!!!

HP: You can try our online web support, it's free.

me: Ok

I bring up the HP web site on my computer and navigate to HP's web support page and then log onto the web support page.

me: I have a printer problem and I am not sure of the error code.

HP: Can I have the serial number of the printer?

me: Ok, xxxxxxxxx

HP: That printer is not under warranty any more you have to pay 21.00 for support.

me: Are you telling me that I need to pay 21.00 so you can tell me what HP's error code means?

HP: yes, or go find the error code on the HP web page

By this time my German temper (which you know most of the time I am calm and collect) I am irrate.

me: thanks for the non-support, the error is not on HP's web site

I then close the web page thinking some choice (like in Star Trek) colorful adjectives.

This is just crap. Why do I have to pay HP for information that is indigenous to them, dealing with their equipment and error codes that only they know?

No comments: